Friday, January 18, 2008

Texas Hold'em

Playing six hours of poker with ten adolescent boys is definitely one way to brush up on your Spanish. After an innocent morning visiting libraries and parks, I somehow ended up losing fifteen dollars to a sixteen-year-old wearing a trucker´s hat bedazzeled with the words ¨Dedicated to the One I Love¨. I´m not even sure I´ve ever played poker before, but somehow I ended up sneaking into the Italian Club of Colombia with Victor´s cousins to play a few rounds of Texas Hold'em. By some miracle I actually won the first game. The club owner had his doubts about allowing a gringa at the table, especially one in tennis shoes and a T-shirt, but the leader of the KOOL kids convinced the owner to allow me to play another round. Of course I am only assuming this boy was the leader of the pack based on the height of his mullet. Rank in the Italio-Colombio teenage mafia is definitely determined by darkness of sunglasses and amount of hair gel. Nonetheless, I didn´t understand a single word that was said in that smoke-filled room, nor do I think I´d want to repeat any of them in the presence of someone who wears their pants above their hip bones. I know this much for sure - if I ever go to Vegas, I should stick to the slot machines.

No comments: